Top 8 Ways To Prevent Split Ends:
1. Heat puts a lot of stress on our hair so if you have a day off and are able to wash and leave your hair to air dry, then do it! Just put a light leave in mousse in and rock your natural curls, waves, whatever you were blessed with. Beachy hair is sexy hair, right? Right!
2. When shampooing your hair, avoid rubbing vigorously on the ends. Our hair gets dirty at the roots so focus on massaging the shampoo into your scalp and just pull through the rest of your hair.
3. Always rinse hair with lukewarm water and then for the final rinse try to use the coldest water you can stand. This closes the hair cuticle, locking in moisture. When you use very hot water on your hair, your air cuticles are left open leaving you with dry hair and hair that is more susceptible to damage and split ends.
4. Dry your hair the right way! I’m talking about when you just get out of the shower and reach for a towel to towel dry your locks. This is important. Gently use the towel to squeeze out excess water by wrapping the towel around sections and gently squeezing. After this, wrap your hair in your towel, turban style, until you’re ready to style. Most of us use our towels and rub our hair roughly to dry it. This just instantly causes damage and frizziness which equals split ends.
5. ALWAYS apply a heat protectant product before blow drying or straightening. I like to use Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment
6. If you use a straightener or curling iron, then try to dry your hair naturally before styling or dry roughly with a hairdryer and no brush. Blow drying with a brush followed by straightening or curling is especially damaging.
7. Do an intensive repair treatment once a week for as long as you can. The longer you are able to leave it in, the better. Just apply, pin your hair up and do some chores you need to do or indulge in a good book or your favourite show!
8. Last but not least, try to get your ends cut every 6-8 weeks to get rid of split ends so that new hair can grow!What are your best hair health tips? Tweet them to me @TotallyTamryn